Ideas and direction for the Forum

So there's something you just HAVE to get off your chest, and it doesn't fit into any of the above catagories? All spam, rants, and random chatter belongs in here.
editor
Site Admin

Ideas and direction for the Forum

Post by editor »

Brother Thomas has given me permission to share with you, a discussion that started privately:

A couple of suggestions

Sent: Wed May 22, 2013 2:44 pm
by Thomas Jeffrey
Good morning, Gregory

I'd like to propose a couple of suggestions for your consideration.

1. Do you think a "Suggestion Box" would be beneficial to the Forum? I have no idea of the amount of time you already spend administering this site, and I certainly wouldn't wish to burden you with more.

2. Perhaps a "Weekly Discussion Topic" would help to maintain a little organization, at least from a discussion standpoint. A weekly theme, if you will. I noticed that a lot of members are not getting involved with posting, which is probably normal, but it may help to keep their interest by checking in to see what the Editor's topic of the week is. (?)

Thank you for all you're doing.

Many Blessings,

======================

Re: A couple of suggestions

Sent: Wed May 22, 2013 9:19 pm
by editor
Thomas,

Thank you for your suggestions. It's obvious you are thinking of ways to improve the site, as to its quality, and its frequency of use. I appreciate that.

The time available to me to administer the site varies greatly, according to my work schedule. You probably noticed there were about three years in a row in which the site was lucky to get two or three updates a year.

I work as a contractor. I assemble a crew, travel to distant places, and work like mad to get a particular job done. Sometimes the job lasts a few months; other times a few years. The last few years I've been gone so much that this site, along with a lot of other things in my personal life, have been neglected.

When my last job ended, I decided to take a few months off, and take care of some of those neglected details. One of those was to give TLP a big facelift, which I've done. The biggest reason behind the Forum, was to give the site a life of its own, so as to help it be more of a help to people during those times when I'm unable to contribute much of my time.

For example, one of the things I have always been attentive to, is personal mail. I get a surprisingly large number of emails from people asking questions about Right to Travel, or Commercial Redemption (a lot of hate mail there, due to my 1999 article, which I still stand by), and other topics related to the subject matter found in TLP. I always answer everyone, though sometimes I can't take as much time with my answers as I'd like.

So I figured a Forum would help with that. I could take the time to answer a question right, just one time. And the next time someone asked the same question, which happens a lot, I can just refer them to the Forum.

Another advantage is that people can start talking amongst themselves, which has already been happening.

A suggestion box is a good idea. I acually see this whole Forum as one big suggestion box. The Main Forum is open for members to start new topics at any time. They no longer have to send me articles and ask if I'll be willing to post them. They can simply post the articles themselves. If I especially like an article, I can copy it over to the Reading Room, if and when I have the time. I've done this a couple times already. Either way, it gets posted, in the Forum.

I really like your suggestion for a weekly discussion item. Personally, I can't guarantee I'll always keep a schedule like that. The Forum does make it easier for me to contribute bits of information regularly, since I don't have to sit down and code HTML to post on the site. This is far more convenient.

The real beauty of the Forum is that it gives the same power and convenience to Members. I will be delighted if you decide to come on once a week, and post a discussion item. You, or any other member, can launch programs such as this yourself, without even asking me. Has it occurred to you that you can, for instance, launch a weekly opinion column, using TLP Forum as your platform?

For longtime readers, such as yourself, I will gladly give you your own channel, in which only you can create topics, with other readers still welcome to post comments. There's an idea-- a topic on the main Board Index called Member's Channels, in which Members can have their own channels.

I know that TLP has been a blessing to many people over the years. Many of them have told me so. It has also been a blessing to me. I've made lasting friendships, and learned many things I would not have otherwise. The Forum is my way of giving those blessings to our readers.

Please look at the Forum as an opportunity for you, personally, to make a difference; a platform which gives you a voice.

--Personal Note: You sent your message to me privately, so I am making a private response. May I have your permission to post this exchange in the public Forum?

===========================

Re: A couple of suggestions

Sent: Thu May 23, 2013 6:52 pm
by Thomas Jeffrey
Gregory,

As one who works as a contractor also, I can certainly appreciate the value of time.

Perhaps it's because I'm relatively new and at being involved with public forums, but I've viewed my presence here as a guest in your house. The thought of launching an unsolicited program or column, such as a Weekly Topic, and straying from the basic format provided without consulting you first, would seem improper. Call me old fashioned.

Thank you for sharing your purpose, hopes, and ideas for the Forum. I think that many of us may now begin to understand the tools and possibilities that are available. Your idea about the Member’s Channels simply adds to those possibilities.

Let's pray for informative, relevant, and hearty discussions as well as new and continued friendships along the way.

May the Lord richly Bless you,

--BTW… Please feel free to post this exchange in the public Forum
--
Editor
Lawfulpath.com
editor
Site Admin

Re: Ideas and direction for the Forum

Post by editor »

Thomas,

Thank you for your ideas and contributions. In case anyone here hasn't figured it out, you are the man who compiled all the newsletters from the Christian Jural Society, and made them available to me for publication on this site. You also provided us with the Book of the Hundreds. Getting these documents into a usable format took many hours of your time, for which I am grateful.

I appreciate your analogy of users of this Forum as "guests in my house". To a large extent this is correct, in the sense that the site is mine; I pay the bills for keeping it alive, and exercise ultimate administrative control. But there is another dynamic at play here, which I want to point out.

Guests can come to this Forum, and read most (though not all) of what is written here, without registration. Only registered members can post.

Registration is free. However, no one's time is free. We all have only so much of it, and one day everyone's time runs out. People who become members here, and invest their time in these Forums, will become valuable resources to this Forum. Just as you, Thomas, and others (you know who you are) have added great value to this site.

As long as I live and breathe, and keep this site online, I will exercise ultimate authority. But I expect that members will be given great latitude, especially in proportion to their contributions. Only if someone insists on being disruptive, combative, or an otherwise negative influence, will I expect to take administrative action.

That having been said, please make yourself at home. Mi casa es su casa.
--
Editor
Lawfulpath.com
scott

Post by scott »

Thomas,
I like wise greatly appreciate the work you put into getting the Book of Hundreds and the jural society newsletters posted.
I have spent many a good hour perusing them.
Thanks
Scott
Thomas Jeffrey

Post by Thomas Jeffrey »

Thank you, Scott

I praise God that they are finding a home in some family libraries. I've enjoyed reading your posts and, Lord willing, we'll have some good discussions in the future.

Many Blessings,
Thomas