Parents do not want me to get married yet.

The most numerous and, collectively, the most powerful form of government on earth is the family. This is why worldly governments are so obsessed with destroying and undermining families.
Yesieyeye194

Parents do not want me to get married yet.

Post by Yesieyeye194 »

I've been with my Fiancé for about two years. I said we should probably wait two more years in order to get married. My mother says till I am ready or she sees me ready. She doesn't approve that I converted to Christianity and accepted Jesus Christ as my saviour. My Fiancé is also Christian. My parents say that we are not allowed to read the Bible, only the priest are. She sees Christianity as "untraditional ". I tell her it is not about religion but instead it is a relationship with Jesus. My parents are raised Catholic and I didn't want to be a part of it anymore because I felt in my soul that something was off. I love them, but it is God first.
notmartha

Re: Parents do not want me to get married yet.

Post by notmartha »

Howdy, and Welcome!

Why don't your parents think you are ready?
Why do you think you should wait two years?
Will waiting just for the sake of waiting cause either of you to sin?

There are a lot of variables to consider in marriage readiness. While it is wonderful that you are both Christians, there are a lot of issues that Christians don't agree on - spousal roles, finances, raising children, health and diet, entertainment, etc. etc. Have you discussed these issues with your future husband? Are you ready to honor and obey him, even if his views are different than yours?

There are many lists of questions to ponder with your potential spouse, to detect any possible problem areas before they become a problem. I've shared THIS LIST and others with my young adult children. These questions aren't intended to be like make or break marriage applications, but rather to open the lines of communication to get to know your future partner better. If there are irreconcilable differences, now is the time to decide how to handle them, not in divorce court.

Marriage is a blessing from God, but it takes hard work and dedication. If you are not ready for that hard work and dedication, you should probably not get married.