Dating vs. Courtship vs. Betrothal

The most numerous and, collectively, the most powerful form of government on earth is the family. This is why worldly governments are so obsessed with destroying and undermining families.
notmartha

Dating vs. Courtship vs. Betrothal

Post by notmartha »

I was reading this with interest:
http://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/cjsn_1-70.php#dc64

This took me a long time to load. I'll try to attach it here as well, as the chart is not pasting well.
dating courtship betrothel.jpg
dating courtship betrothel.jpg (286.38 KiB) Viewed 18786 times
So, assuming your sons and daughters trust your decisions in how they should find spouses, how does one go about safely finding like-minded families? People just look at you like :shock: and then :lol: at these "old fashioned" ideas.
editor
Site Admin

Re: Dating vs. Courtship vs. Betrothal

Post by editor »

So, assuming your sons and daughters trust your decisions in how they should find spouses, how does one go about safely finding like-minded families? People just look at you like :shock: and then :lol: at these "old fashioned" ideas.
There may (or may not) be more like-minded people out there than we realize. Government/corporate control over the media has left many people feeling alone in their thinking, as the tendency is to think most people believe the way media tells us they believe.

The internet is changing that, and this site is an example. I would like to see more people use the Group Contacts and Personals http://lawfulpath.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10 section in this Forum, and I'll be happy to split off a Seeking Betrothal section if readers ask for it and will use it.
--
Editor
Lawfulpath.com
notmartha

Re: Dating vs. Courtship vs. Betrothal

Post by notmartha »

Thanks for offering to set up a betrothal section on your forum. Our oldest are still teens, so we have some time before active pursuit. I'm in the learning stage right now. Here is some more info I've come across. If anyone has experience with betrothal, I'd enjoy discussions on it.

From chapter 14 of Manners and Customs of Bible Lands by Fred H. Wight
The Betrothal

Difference Between A Promise And A Betrothal

A promise of marriage among the Jews of Bible times might mean an engagement without anything definite. There could be a number of engagements broken off. It was the betrothal that was binding, rather than a mere promise of marriage. The promise might be set aside, but a betrothal entered into was considered as final.

The Betrothal A Covenant

Among the ancient Hebrews the betrothal was a spoken covenant. Ezekiel pictures God as marrying Jerusalem, and the following words are used of her: "I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord God, and thou becamest mine" (Ezek. 16:8). After the exile, the betrothal included signing a written document of marriage.

The Ceremony Of Betrothal

The Jewish betrothal in Christ's time was conducted thus: The families of the bride and groom met, with some others present to serve as witnesses. The young man would give the young woman either a gold ring, or some article of value, or simply a document in which he promised to marry her. Then he would say to her: "See by this ring [or this token] thou art set apart for me, according to the law of Moses and of Israel."

Difference Between Betrothal And Marriage

The betrothal was not the same as the wedding. At least a whole year elapsed between the betrothal and the actual wedding. These two events must not be confused. The Law said, "What man is there that hath betrothed a wife, and hath not taken her?" (Deut. 20:7). Two events are differentiated here: betrothing a wife, and taking a wife, i.e., in actual marriage. It was during this period of about a year, between the betrothal and the wedding, that Mary was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit (Matt. 7:18, A. R. V.).
From Smith's Bible Dictionary:
Marriage

3. The modes by which marriage was effected.—
The choice of the bride devolved not on the bridegroom himself, but on his relations or on a friend deputed by the bridegroom for this purpose. The consent of the maiden was sometimes asked (Gen 24:58) but this appears to have been subordinate to the previous consent of the father and the adult brothers. (Gen 24:51; 34:11) Occasionally the whole business of selecting the wife was left in the hands of a friend. The selection of the bride was followed by the espousal, which was a formal proceeding undertaken by a friend or legal representative on the part of the bridegroom and by the parents on the part of the bride; it was confirmed by oaths, and accompanied with presents to the bride. The act of betrothal was celebrated by a feast, and among the more modern Jews it is the custom in some parts for the bride groom to place a ring on the bride's finger. The ring was regarded among the Hebrews as a token of fidelity (Gen 41:42) and of adoption into a family. (Luke 15:25) Between the betrothal and the marriage an interval elapsed, varying from a few days in the patriarchal age, (Gen 24:55) to a full year for virgins and a month for widows in later times. During this period the bride-elect lived with her friends, and all communication between herself and her future husband was carried on through the medium of a friend deputed for the purpose, termed the "friend of the bridegroom." (John 3:29) She was now virtually regarded as the wife of her future husband; hence faithlessness on her part was punishable with death, (Deut 22:23, 24) the husband having, however, the option of "putting her away." (Deut 24:1; Matt 1:19)