Tolerance

Comprehending laws and contracts is impossible, unless we first learn the meaning of the words and phrases they contain.

Moderator: notmartha

notmartha

Tolerance

Post by notmartha »

BIBLE

The words “tolerate” and/or “tolerance” are not found in the KJV, but the words “more tolerable” are translated from Greek Strong's #414, anektos, in the following verses:
Matthew 10:15 - Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
Matthew 11:22 - But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
Matthew 11:24 - But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.
Mark 6:11- And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
Luke 10:12 - But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.
Luke 10:14 - But it shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment, than for you.
The words “tolerate” and/or “tolerance” are found in the Old and New Testaments of various other translations.

GW = God’s Word, God's Word to the Nations Bible Society, 1995

NLT = New Living Translation, Tyndale Charitable Trust, 2004

ESV = The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, Crossway Bibles, 2001

HCSB = Holman Christian Standard Bible, Holman Bible Publishers, 2008.

Old Testament

Hebrew Strong's #7067, qannāʾ and #7072, qannôʾ, meaning “jealous” are translated as “does not tolerate” in the following verses:
Exodus 20:5 (GW)- Never worship them or serve them, because I, the LORD your God, am a God who does not tolerate rivals. I punish children for their parents' sins to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me.
Exodus 20:5 (NLT) -You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected—even children in the third and fourth generations of those who reject me.
Exodus 34:14 (GW)- (Never worship any other god, because the LORD is a God who does not tolerate rivals. In fact, he is known for not tolerating rivals.)
Deuteronomy 4:24 (GW)- The LORD your God is a raging fire, a God who does not tolerate rivals.
Deuteronomy 5:9 (GW)- Never worship them or serve them, because I, the LORD your God, am a God who does not tolerate rivals. I punish children for their parents' sins to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me.
Deuteronomy 5:9 (NLT) -You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children; the entire family is affected—even children in the third and fourth generations of those who reject me.
Deuteronomy 6:15 (GW)- If you do, the LORD your God will become very angry with you and will wipe you off the face of the earth, because the LORD your God, who is with you, is a God who does not tolerate rivals.
Joshua 24:19 (GW)- But Joshua answered the people, “Since the LORD is a holy God, you can't possibly serve him. He is a God who does not tolerate rivals. He will not forgive your rebellious acts and sins.
Nahum 1:2 (GW)- God does not tolerate rivals. The LORD takes revenge. The LORD takes revenge and is full of anger. The LORD takes revenge against his enemies and holds a grudge against his foes.
Hebrew Strong's #5975, ʿāmad, meaning “would stand”, is translated as “tolerate” in the following verses:
Esther 3:4 (GW)- Although they asked him day after day, he paid no attention to them. So they informed Haman to see if Mordecai's actions would be tolerated, since Mordecai had told them that he was a Jew.
Esther 3:4 (HCSB) - When they had warned him day after day and he still would not listen to them, they told Haman to see if Mordecai’s actions would be tolerated, since he had told them he was a Jew.
Esther 3:4 (NLT) - They spoke to him day after day, but still he refused to comply with the order. So they spoke to Haman about this to see if he would tolerate Mordecai’s conduct, since Mordecai had told them he was a Jew.

Hebrew Strong's #3240, yānaḥ, meaning “to suffer” is translated as “tolerate” in the following verses:
Esther 3:8 (GW)- Now, Haman told King Xerxes, “Your Majesty, there is a certain nationality scattered among—but separate from—the nationalities in all the provinces of your kingdom. Their laws differ from those of all other nationalities. They do not obey your decrees. So it is not in your interest to tolerate them, Your Majesty.
Esther 3:8 (ESV) - Then Haman said to King Ahasuerus, “There is a certain people scattered abroad and dispersed among the peoples in all the provinces of your kingdom. Their laws are different from those of every other people, and they do not keep the king’s laws, so that it is not to the king’s profit to tolerate them.
Esther 3:8 (HCSB) - Then Haman informed King Ahasuerus, “There is one ethnic group, scattered throughout the peoples in every province of your kingdom, yet living in isolation. Their laws are different from everyone else’s and they do not obey the king’s laws. It is not in the king’s best interest to tolerate them.
Hebrew Strong's #3201, yākōl, meaning “will not suffer,” is translated as “tolerate” in the following verses:
Psalm 101:5 (GW)- I will destroy anyone who secretly slanders his neighbor. I will not tolerate anyone with a conceited look or arrogant heart.
Psalm 101:5 (HCSB) - I will destroy anyone who secretly slanders his neighbor; I cannot tolerate anyone with haughty eyes or an arrogant heart.
Psalm 101:5 (NLT) - I will not tolerate people who slander their neighbors. I will not endure conceit and pride
Hebrew Strong's # 2135, zākâ, meaning “count pure” is translated as “tolerate” in the following verses:
Micah 6:11 (GW)- I cannot tolerate dishonest scales and bags filled with inaccurate weights.
Micah 6:11 (NLT) - How can I tolerate your merchants who use dishonest scales and weights?
Hebrew Strong's #5027, nābaṭ, meaning “behold” or “look,” is translated as “tolerate” in the following verses:
Habakkuk 1:3 (HCSB) - Why do You force me to look at injustice? Why do You tolerate wrongdoing? Oppression and violence are right in front of me. Strife is ongoing, and conflict escalates.
Habakkuk 1:13 (HCSB) - ⌊Your⌋ eyes are too pure to look on evil, and You cannot tolerate wrongdoing. So why do You tolerate those who are treacherous? Why are You silent while one who is wicked swallows up one who is more righteous than himself?
New Testament

Greek Strong's #3687, onomazō, meaning “to name”, is translated as “tolerate” in the following verses:
1 Corinthians 5:1 (ESV) - It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father’s wife.
1 Corinthians 5:1 (HCSB) - It is widely reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and the kind of sexual immorality that is not even ⌊tolerated⌋ among the Gentiles—a man is living with his father’s wife.
Greek Strong's #1439, eaō, meaning “suffer” is translated as “tolerate” in the following verses:
Revelation 2:20 (ESV) = But I have this against you, that you tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess and is teaching and seducing my servants to practice sexual immorality and to eat food sacrificed to idols.
Revelation 2:20 (GW) - But I have something against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. She teaches and misleads my servants to sin sexually and to eat food sacrificed to idols.
Revelation 2:20 (HCSB) - But I have this against you: You tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess and teaches and deceives My slaves to commit sexual immorality and to eat meat sacrificed to idols.
Revelation 2:20 (WEY) - Yet I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess and by her teaching leads astray My servants, so that they commit fornication and eat what has been sacrificed to idols.
Greek Strong's #941, bastazō, meaning “bear”, is translated as “tolerate” in the following verses:
Revelation 2:2 (GW) - I know what you have done—how hard you have worked and how you have endured. I also know that you cannot tolerate wicked people. You have tested those who call themselves apostles but are not apostles. You have discovered that they are liars.
Revelation 2:2-3 (HCSB) - I know your works, your labor, and your endurance, and that you cannot tolerate evil. You have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and you have found them to be liars. You also possess endurance and have tolerated ⌊many things⌋ because of My name and have not grown weary.
Revelation 2:2 (NLT) - “I know all the things you do. I have seen your hard work and your patient endurance. I know you don’t tolerate evil people. You have examined the claims of those who say they are apostles but are not. You have discovered they are liars.
Revelation 2:2 (WEY) - I know your doings and your toil and patient suffering. And I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, but have put to the test those who say that they themselves are Apostles but are not, and you have found them to be liars.
Greek Strong's #430, anechō, meaning “endure,” is translated as “tolerate” in the following verses:
2 Timothy 4:3 (HCSB) - For the time will come when they will not tolerate sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, will multiply teachers for themselves because they have an itch to hear something new.
2 Timothy 4:3 (WEY) - For a time is coming when they will not tolerate wholesome instruction, but, wanting to have their ears tickled, they will find a multitude of teachers to satisfy their own fancies;
2 Corinthians 11:19 (WEY) - Wise as you yourselves are, you find pleasure in tolerating fools.
2 Corinthians 11:20 (WEY) - For you tolerate it, if any one enslaves you, lives at your expense, makes off with your property, gives himself airs, or strikes you on the face.
Greek Strong's #2902, krateō, meaning “hold,” is translated as “tolerate” in the following verse:
Revelation 2:14 (NLT) - “But I have a few complaints against you. You tolerate some among you whose teaching is like that of Balaam, who showed Balak how to trip up the people of Israel. He taught them to sin by eating food offered to idols and by committing sexual sin.
DEFINITIONS

Webster’s Dictionary of the English Language, 1828
TOL'ERANCE, noun [Latin tolerantia, from tolero, to bear.]
The power or capacity of enduring; or the act of enduring.
Diogenes one frosty morning came to the market place shaking, to show his tolerance
[Little used. But intolerance is in common use.]
TOL'ERATE, verb transitive [Latin tolero, from tollo, to lift.]
To suffer to be or to be done without prohibition or hinderance; to allow or permit negatively, by not preventing; not to restrain; as, to tolerate opinions or practices. The protestant religion is tolerated in France, and the Roman Catholic in Great Britain.

Crying should not be tolerated in children.

The law of love tolerates no vice, and patronizes every virtue.
Bouvier’s Law Dictionary, 1856
TOLERATI0N.
1. In some countries, where religion is established by law, certain sects who do not agree with the established religion are nevertheless permitted to exist, and this permission is called toleration. Those are permitted and allowed to remain rather as a matter of favor than a matter of right.
2. In the United States, there is no such a thing as toleration, all men have an equal right to worship God according to the dictates of their own consciences. See Christianity; Conscience; Religious test.
Black’s Law Dictionary, 1st Edition, 1891, 2nd Edition, 1910
TOLERATION.

The allowance of religious opinions and modes of worship in a state which are contrary to. or different from, those of the established church or belief. Webster.
TOLERATION ACT.

The statute 1 W. 85 M. St. 1, c. 18, for exempting Protestant dissenters from the penalties of certain laws is so called. Brown.
The Century Dictionary, an Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language, 1895
tolerance (tol'e-rans), n.

1. The state or character of being tolerant, (a) The power or capacity of enduring ; the act of enduring ; endurance : as, tolerance of heat or cold.

2. The act of tolerating; toleration.

3. In med.. the power, either congenital or acquired, which an individual has of resistance to the action of a poison.
tolerate

1. To sustain or endure; specifically, in med., to endure or support, as a strain or a drug, without pernicious effect.
—2.
To suffer to be or to be done without prohibition or hindrance; allow or permit negatively, by not preventing; put up with; endure; refrain from restraining; treat in a spirit of patience and forbearance ; forbear to judge of or condemn with bigotry and severity: as, to tolerate opinions or practices.
toleration (tol-e-ra'shon),

1. The act of sustaining or enduring; endurance.

2. The act of tolerating; allowance made for what is not wholly approved; forbearance.

3. Specifically, the recognition of the right of private judgment in matters of faith and worship; also, the liberty granted by the governing power of a state to every individual to hold or publicly teach and defend his religious opinions, and to worship whom, how, and when he pleases, provided that he does not thereby violate the rights of others or infringe laws designed for the protection of decency, morality, and good order. or for the security of the governing power; the effective recognition by the state of the right which every person has to enjoy the benefit of all the laws and of all social privileges without any regard to difference of religion.

4. A disposition to tolerate, or not to judge or deal harshly or rigorously in cases of differences
of opinion, conduct, or the like; tolerance.
The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Current English, 1919
tolerate, v.t.

Endure, permit, (practice, action, person's doing) ; forbear to judge harshly or rigorously (person, religious sect, opinion) endure society of or intercourse with ; sustain, endure, (suffering &c), esp. (Med.) sustain use of (drug &c.) without harm.
tolera'tion, n.

Tolerating ; forbearance ; recognition of right of private judgment in religious matters, liberty to uphold one's religious opinions & forms of worship or to enjoy all social privileges &c. without regard to religious differences,

Ballentine’s Law Dictionary, James A. Ballentine, Third Edition, 1969
tolerance.

A variation from a prescribed standard permitted by law in certain instances, particularly in reference to weights and measures. 56 Am J 1st Wts & M § 49. Giving respect to the views and opinions of others. not so much in accepting them as sound, as in recognition of the right of another person to have views and opinions.
Black’s Law Dictionary, 4th Edition, 1968, 5th Edition, 1979
TOLERATE.

To allow so as not to hinder; to permit as something not wholly approved of ; to suffer; to endure. Gregory v. U. S., 17 Blatchf. 330, Fed.Cas.No. 5,803.
TOLERATION.

The allowance of religious opinions and modes of worship which are contrary to, or different from, those of the established church or belief. Webster.
TOLERATION ACT.

The statute 1 W. & M. St. 1, c. 18, for exempting Protestant dissenters from the penalties of certain laws is so called. Brown.
QUOTES

E. M. Bounds
God cannot tolerate a divided heart in the love He requires of men, neither can He bear with a divided man in praying.
A Church which tolerates evil doers in its communion, will cease to pray, will cease to pray with agreement, and will cease to be a Church gathered together in prayer in Christ’s name.
To plead for a religious faith which tolerates sinning, is to cut the ground from under the feet of effectual praying. To excuse sinning by the plea that obedience to God is not possible to unregenerate men, is to discount the character of the new birth, and to place men where effective praying is not possible.
Institutes of Biblical Law, by Rousas John Rushdoony, 1973
[T]here can be no tolerance in a law system for another religion. Every law-system must maintain its existence by hostility to every other law-system and to alien religious foundations, or else it commits suicide.
G.K. Chesterton
Tolerance is the virtue of men who don't believe in anything.
Woodrow Kroll
Tolerance is often championed by people who have nothing to stand for.
John Stott
Tolerance is not a spiritual gift; it is the distinguishing mark of postmodernism; and sadly, it has permeated the very fiber of Christianity. Why is it that those who have no biblical convictions or theology to govern and direct their actions are tolerated and the standard or truth of God's Word rightly divided and applied is dismissed as extreme opinion or legalism?
John F. Kennedy
Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.
Voltaire
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly - that is the first law of nature.
Christopher Hitchens
I learned that very often the most intolerant and narrow-minded people are the ones who congratulate themselves on their tolerance and open-mindedness.
Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
“It's an universal law-- intolerance is the first sign of an inadequate education. An ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas truly profound education breeds humility.”
Karl Raimund Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies
Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal.”
Dorothy L. Sayers
“In the world it is called Tolerance, but in hell it is called Despair...the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die.”
Christ and Liberty by John William
Christians are often accused as a matter of course, of being all sorts of things when they begin to invade the territories of what has been a non-christian dominated area of life, such as law and politics.

One common charge is that Christians are intolerant of other's views. Of course, this is true, but, Christians have no choice in the matter. Non-christians make this charge because they project onto the Christian, the standards of non-believers. They do not know what its like for the Holy Spirit to lead a man down a road in spite of the man's 'better idea.'

Non-christians tolerate anything, and expect Christians to do the same, while ignoring their own hypocrisy. The one idea all non-christians share is, intolerance of Christians.

Christians have no choice in matters of tolerance. They are under God's Law and the Kingship of the Lord Jesus Christ. Non-christians will always interpret Christians wrong and always construe or imply things in the mind of Christians, that are in fact, the exclusive property and implications of non-christian minds.
Philosophy tells us that all thought based on a non-christian view of life must fail and, if implemented in a government, must result in tyranny. They may preach liberty and scream for tolerance, but once they actually possess the power, they impose a new form of intolerance for Christianity and Christians.