Subject

Comprehending laws and contracts is impossible, unless we first learn the meaning of the words and phrases they contain.

Moderator: notmartha

notmartha

Subject

Post by notmartha »

KJV References

Kānaʿ, Hebrew Strong's #3665, is used 36 times in the Old Testament. It is translated as humble (18), subdue (11), bring low (2), bring down (3), subjection (1), miscellaneous translations (1). It is translated as “subjection” in the following verse:
Psalm 106:42 - Their enemies also oppressed them, and they were brought into subjection under their hand.
Kābash, Hebrew Strong's #3533, is used 15 times in the Old Testament. It is translated as subdue (8), bring into subjection (3), bring into bondage (2), keep under (1), force (1). It is translated as “subjection” in the following verses:
Jeremiah 34:11-16 - But afterward they turned, and caused the servants and the handmaids, whom they had let go free, to return, and brought them into subjection for servants and for handmaids. Therefore the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel; I made a covenant with your fathers in the day that I brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondmen, saying, At the end of seven years let ye go every man his brother an Hebrew, which hath been sold unto thee; and when he hath served thee six years, thou shalt let him go free from thee: but your fathers hearkened not unto me, neither inclined their ear. And ye were now turned, and had done right in my sight, in proclaiming liberty every man to his neighbour; and ye had made a covenant before me in the house which is called by my name: But ye turned and polluted my name, and caused every man his servant, and every man his handmaid, whom ye had set at liberty at their pleasure, to return, and brought them into subjection, to be unto you for servants and for handmaids.
Hypotassō, Greek Strong's #5293, is used 40 times in the New Testament. It is translated as put under (6), be subject unto (6), be subject to (5), submit (one's) self unto (5), submit (one's) self to (3), be in subjection unto (2), put in subjection under (1), miscellaneous translations (12). “It is translated as “subject” in the following verses:
Luke 2:49-51 - And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business? And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them. And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
Luke 10:17-20 - And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Romans 8:7 - Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Romans 8:20-21 - For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
Romans 13:1-5 - Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
1 Corinthians 14:32 - And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
1 Corinthians 15:28 - And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.
Hebrews 2:5-8 - For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak. But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him? Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands: Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.
Hebrews 12:9 - Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
Ephesians 5:24 - Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Titus 3:1 - Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,
1 Peter 2:18 - Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.
1 Peter 3:1 - Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
1 Peter 3:5 - For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
1 Peter 3:22 - Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.
1 Peter 5:5 - Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
Enochos, Greek Strong's #1777, is used 10 times in the New Testament. It is translated as in danger of (5), guilty of (4), subject to (1). It is translated as “subject” in the following verse:
Hebrews 2:15 - And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
Dogmatizō, Greek Strong's #1379, is used 1 time in the New Testament. It is translated as “be subject to ordinances” in the following verse:
Colossians 2:20-22 - Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
Homoiopathēs, Greek Strong's #3663, is used 2 times in the New Testament. It is translated as of like passions (1), subject to like passions (1).
James 5:17 - Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.
Doulagōgeō, Greek Strong's #1396, is used 1 time in the New Testament, translated as “bring into subjection” in the following verse:
1 Corinthians 9:27 - But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
Hypotagē, Greek Strong's #5292, is used 4 times in the New Testament. It is translated as “subjection” in the following verses:
2 Corinthians 9:13 - Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men;
Galatians 2:5 - To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.
1 Timothy 2:11 - Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
1 Timothy 3:4 - One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
Webster’s Dictionary of the English Language, 1828
SUBJECT, adjective

1. Placed or situate under.
--The eastern tower whose height commands, as subject all the vale, to see the fight.

2. Being under the power and dominion of another; as, Jamaica is subject to Great Britain.
Esau was never subject to Jacob.

3. Exposed; liable from extraneous causes; as a country subject to extreme heat or cold.

4. Liable from inherent causes; prone; disposed.
All human things are subject to decay.

5. Being that on which nay thing operates, whether intellectual or material; as the subject-matter of a discourse.

6. Obedient. Titus 3:1. Colossians 2:20.

SUBJECT, noun [Latin]

1. One that owes allegiance to a sovereign and is governed by his laws. The natives of Great Britain are subjects of the British government. The natives of the United States, and naturalized foreigners, are subjects of the federal government. Men in free governments, are subjects as well as citizens; as citizens, they enjoy rights and franchises; as subjects, they are bound to obey the laws.
The subject must obey his prince, because God commands it, and human laws require it.

2. That on which any mental operation is performed; that which is treated or handled; as a subject of discussion before the legislature; a subject of negotiation.
This subject for heroic song pleased me.
The subject of a proposition is that concerning which any thing is affirmed or denied.

3. That on which any physical operation is performed; as a subject for dissection or amputation.

4. That in which any thing inheres or exists.
Anger is certainly a kind of baseness, as it appears well in the weakness of those subjects in whom it reigns.

5. The person who is treated of; the hero of a piece.
Authors of biography are apt to be prejudiced in favor of their subject

6. In grammar, the nominative case to a verb passive.

SUBJECT, verb transitive

1. To bring under the power or dominion of. Alexander subjected a great part of the civilized world to his dominion.
Firmness of mind that subjects every gratification of sense to the rule of right reason--

2. To put under or within the power of.
In one short view subjected to our eye, gods, emperors, heroes, sages, beauties lie.

3. To enslave; to make obnoxious.
He is the most subjected, the most enslaved, who is so in his understanding.

4. To expose; to make liable. Credulity subjects a person to impositions.

5. To submit; to make accountable.
God is not bound to subject his ways of operation to the scrutiny of our thoughts--

6. To make subservient.
--Subjected to his service angel wings.

7. To cause to undergo; as, to subject a substance to a white heat; to subject it to a rigid test.

SUBJECTIVE, adjective Relating to the subject, as opposed to the object.
Certainty--is distinguished into objective and subjective; objective, is when the proposition is certainly true of itself; and subjective is when we are certain of the truth of it.
Bouvier’s Dictionary of Law, 1856
SUBJECT, contracts. The thing which is the object of an agreement. This term is used in the laws of Scotland.

SUBJECT, persons, government.

1. An individual member of a nation, who is subject to the laws; this term is used in contradistinction to citizen, which is applied to the same individual when considering his political rights.

2. In monarchical governments, by subject is meant one who owes permanent allegiance to the monarch. Vide Body politic; Greenl. Ev. §286; Phil. & Am. on Ev. 732, n. 1.

SUBJECT MATTER.

1. The cause, the object, the thing in dispute.

2. It is a fatal objection to the jurisdiction of the court when it has not cognizance of the subject matter of the action; as, if a cause exclusively of admiralty jurisdiction were brought in a court of common law, or a criminal proceeding in a court having jurisdiction of civil cases only. 10 Co. 68, 76 1 Ventr. 133; 8 Mass. 87; 12 Mass. 367. In such case, neither a plea to the jurisdiction, nor any other plea would be required to oust the court of jurisdiction. The cause might be dismissed upon motion, by the court, ex officio.

SUBJECTION.

1. The obligation of one or more persons to act at the discretion, or according to the judgment and will of others.

2. Subjection is either private or public. By the former is meant the subjection to the authority of private persons; as, of children to their parents, of apprentices to their masters, and the like. By the latter is understood the subjection to the authority of public persons. Rutherf. Inst. B. 2, c. 8.

Servitude

The subjection of one person to another is a purely personal servitude; if it exists in the right of property which a person exercises over another, it is slavery. When the subjection of one person to another is not slavery, it consists simply in the right of requiring of another what he is bound to do, or not to do; this right arises from all kinds of contracts or quasi contracts.
Maxims
Every one ought to be subject to the law of the place where he offends.

The construction or resolution should arise out of the whole subject matter.

Laws are made to no purpose unless for those who are subject and obedient.

That construction is to be made so that the subject may have an effect rather than none.

Nothing accrues to him, who, when the right accrues, has nothing in the subject matter.

Nothing preserves in tranquility and concord those who are subjected to the same government better than a due administration of the laws.

Protection draws to it subjection, subjection, protection.

Words are to be so understood that the subject matter may be preserved rather than destroyed.

Whatever is subject to the authority of a judge, is not subject to novelty.

General words must be confined or restrained to the nature of the subject or the aptitude of the person.
Black's Law Dictionary, 2nd Edition, 1910
subject blacks 2.JPG
subject blacks 2.JPG (90.62 KiB) Viewed 15621 times
subject 2 blacks 2.JPG
subject 2 blacks 2.JPG (33.28 KiB) Viewed 15621 times
***more to come***