Reification

Comprehending laws and contracts is impossible, unless we first learn the meaning of the words and phrases they contain.

Moderator: notmartha

notmartha

Reification

Post by notmartha »

The term “conversion” is explored HERE. The process of mentally converting abstract things (titles, deeds, certificates, etc.) into material things (cars, land, people, etc.) is called “reification”. While a misrepresentation of a material fact is a fraud, reification is what the fictional world needs to keep material things on their fictional planes.

Also see Fiction and Planes.

KJV References

not found

Webster's Dictionary, 1828

not found

Black’s Law Dictionary, 1st Edition, 1890

reification is not found
reif blacks 1.JPG
reif blacks 1.JPG (19.91 KiB) Viewed 15718 times
The Century Dictionary, an Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language, 1895
reification century.JPG
reification century.JPG (106.02 KiB) Viewed 15718 times
Black’s Law Dictionary, abridged 6th Edition, 1991
Reification
The embodiment of a right to the payment of money in an instrument so that transfer of the instrument transfers also the right. The term can also refer generally to the embodiment of any other property in a writing, which writing represents the property.

Black’s Law Dictionary, 7th Edition, 1999
Reification, n.
1. Mental conversion of an abstract concept into a material thing.
2. Civil procedure. Identification of the disputed thing in a nonpersonal action and attribution of an in-state situs to it for jurisdictional purposes.
3. Commercial Law. Embodiment of a right to payment in a writing (such as a negotiable instrument) so that a transfer of the writing also transfers the right.

Carol Maureen SOSNA, etc., Appellant, v. State of IOWA et al.
Argued: Oct. 17, 1974. Decided: Jan. 14, 1975.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/419/393
The Court thus dilutes the jurisdictional command of Art. III to a mere prudential guideline. The only specific, identifiable individual with an evident continuing interest in presenting an attack upon the residency requirement is appellant's counsel. The Court in reality holds that an attorney's competence in presenting his case, evaluated post hoc through a review of his performance as revealed by the record, fulfills the 'case or controversy' mandate. The legal fiction employed to cloak this reality is the reification of an abstract entity, 'the class,' constituted of faceless, unnamed individuals who are deemed to have a live case or controversy with appellees.
Free Dictionary
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/reification
re•i•fy (rē′ə-fī′, rā′-) tr.v. re•i•fied, re•i•fy•ing, re•i•fies
To regard or treat (an abstraction) as if it had concrete or material existence.
[Latin rēs, rē-, thing; see rē- in Indo-European roots + -fy.]

re′i•fi•ca′tion (-fĭ-kā′shən) n.
representing a human being as a physical thing deprived of personal qualities or individuality; "according to Marx, treating labor as a commodity exemplified the reification of the individual"

re′i•fi′er n.
reification
the conversion of an abstract concept into something concrete; a viewing of the abstract as concrete.
A Dictionary of Marxist Thought, Gajo Petrović, 1983
The act (or result of the act) of transforming human properties, relations and actions into properties, relations and actions of man produced things which have become independent (and which are imagined as originally independent) of man and govern his life. Also transformation of human beings into thing like beings which do not behave in a human way but according to the laws of the thing world. Reification is a ‘special’ case of ALIENATION, its most radical and widespread form characteristic of modern capitalist society.
REIFICATION IN LAW AND LEGAL THEORY, Douglas Litowitz, 2000 from HERE.
reification.JPG
reification.JPG (105.1 KiB) Viewed 15718 times
For further research, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification_(Marxism)